Willingdon Island is a man made island and is a landmark destination in Kochi .It is created using the dredged materials obtained after deepening the Kochi port. Robert Bristow was the chief engineer and the first to own a building in this island The island is named after Lord Willingdon the then Governor of Madras.
Malabar hostel was actually a port hostel which was built to accommodate passengers who wished to stay. The basic port structure was completed in 1939 just in time before the world war II commenced. A rail and road bridge to the mainland and a deep wharf provided infrastructure measures for the war effort. A passenger jetty and customs office were added together with a passenger platform and a rail sliding.
The Royal Air Force was instrumental in a huge aerodrome make use the flat expanse of the territory making it a large military base. Post office open air swimming bath between the hotels and the offices and a branch bank were added to extend the amenities. Before Nedumbassery took over as the major airport of Kochi the one at airport served its purpose. The island is home to the Southern Naval Command.
The remaining space on the island was used up by 1950’s and soon became the commercial hub of the city. Presently it serves as a major port. The Cochin Chamber of Commerce and Industries has been strategically been placed here. The island is a bustling place with numerous branches of National and International Banks ,Tourism offices and other commercial establishments.